A growing, asset based, 3PL company in downtown Chicago is looking for an experienced Safety Manager (Flatbed Experience is a plus) to provide safety leadership by directing transportation services with our dispatch team, driver training and vehicle maintenance programs to support the overall business goals of the company. USPS mail run and Fleet manager experience is highly preferred. USPS is one of our largest customers and will need to organize operations with our dispatch team and expand the department overall.
In this role, the Safety Manager will work along side the Operations Manager and be responsible for the overall strategy, management and execution of safety related programs and behavior across the organization. They will ensure compliance with all regulated standards including DOT and FMCSA. The Safety Manager will work cross-functionally to create a culture of safety throughout the company. They will manage and guide a team of safety professionals to ensure best in class safety programs, processes, training and procedures are in place using data and creativity.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Safety Manager is to work closely with drivers and company employees on a daily basis to ensure full DOT compliance standards are being met, while developing and cultivating a positive driver experience. The Safety Manager will be required to:
- Provide leadership and direction to assigned team
- Support a "Culture of Safety" throughout the organization
- Responsible for the development of driver safety training, accident prevention, safety campaigns and driver and manager accountability
- Provide overall leadership and direction for driving a safety culture and environment and ensure its prioritization in all aspects of the business
- Leverage data to identify at-risk behavior trends, target actions and communications specific to mitigating identified risks
- Research and develop innovative programs for screening and training new drivers, track program success and report on employee performance
- Facilitate improvement plans and processes
- Conduct Accident/ Injury investigations and reviews
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or changed from time to time
- Conduct FMCSA mock audits and daily monitoring of SMS score and FMCSA portal
- Experience overseeing mid-size to large trucking fleets (Flatbed Experience is a plus)
- Demonstration of excellent negotiation skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with people from multi-functional and diverse backgrounds.
Required Education and Experience:
- 3 - 5 years previous experience in transportation or trucking industry
- Proven leadership skills and knowledge of DOT Safety Regulations and standards
- This company offers competitive compensation and benefits, as well as the opportunity to grow, both personally and professionally. Benefits include 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision insurance after one year (50% paid for the first year), 401(k) plan with an employer match, and a profit-sharing plan. If this sounds like the opportunity you've been seeking, apply now!
- Leadership: 3 years (Required)
- Trucking Safety: 3 years (Required)
Work Location: Onsite